Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where entertainment turns its back on reality.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Battle System

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BlueThree
Admin
BlueThree

The Battle System Empty
PostSubject: The Battle System   The Battle System EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 3:39 am

In battle, it will show a top-down view. You will have a cursor that can move around freely. Choosing an enemy will make your dude start whaling on him using normal attacks. You will have special attacks assigned to various hotkeys. If you use a special attack that requires aiming, the game will pause as you aim. Otherwise it will be seamless. Other characters and enemies will be controlled through AI. You can freely switch between characters. You can pause the game at any time to switch what abilities are hotkeyed, or change jobs. Realtime, and it should be simple enough. Thoughts/questions/comments? Job system and battle math forthcoming.
Back to top Go down
BlueThree
Admin
BlueThree

The Battle System Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Battle System   The Battle System EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 4:36 am

There was a disagreement earlier about whether normal attacks should have a button you repeatedly press, or if they should be automatic. For me, one of the biggest problems in Torchlight was that you have to keep clicking, or hold the button down to continuously attack an enemy, so I'm in favor of the automatic system. This may make it more boring, but I think having special abilities activated with hotkeys will mitigate that. I recommend testing both systems when we have enough stuff. Aside from that, all above still holds. Here I will detail which stat values affect which things, names of stats are subject to change.

When making attacks, there are four things to consider:

What kind of hit it is (body hit, armor hit, or miss), what body part it hits, how much damage it does, and if it confers any status effects.

Hit type will be related to: Attacker Weapon Skill, attacker Dexterity, attacker Luck, defender Armor Coverage, defender Dexterity, and defender Luck. The probability of a hit will be some function of the Weapon Skill, both Dexterities, and both Lucks. Bonuses from special abilities and/or special equipment will be factored in here. If it is a hit, the probability of an armor hit will be a function of Armor Coverage, and both Lucks.

The body part it hits will be randomized. Larger body parts will have a higher chance of being hit. If a body part containing vital organs is hit, i.e. the torso or head, it will check if a vital organ is hit. In most cases, the body part hit will not affect damage. Hits to vital organs or limbs may cause status effects.

Damage will be related to: Attacker Strength, Attacker Weapon Skill, Attacker Weapon Quality, Attacker Weapon Type, Defender Armor Quality, Defender Armor Type, Defender Constitution, and hit type. Also, bonuses/detriments from special attacks or effects on the attacker or defender are added in here.

If the attack or weapon confers a status effect, or if a vital organ is hit, there will be a check against the defender's Constitution and Luck to determine if the effect is successfully conferred.

These apply to melee weapon attacks. Magic attacks, ranged attacks and engineering attacks will use appropriate stats in place of weapon skill and strength, but the same equations will be used.

This is super subject to change. Please let me know if you think anything needs changing. Actual functions can come after we know exactly what stats we will use.
Back to top Go down
TheVagrant
Admin

The Battle System Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Battle System   The Battle System EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 4:47 am

I like what I'm seeing so far. I agree that we should try both the automatic attacking and command attacking. Better to try both and actually see which one works later on down the road then to just go with one right off the bat.

I also like the idea of being able to attack different body parts, but I worry that people may find it too similar of a battle element to games like Fallout and Vagrant Story. I'm also worried about the job system. I don't want people to automatically connect it to Final Fantasy. What do you think about these things?

The hotkeys are a great idea. Remember how I mentioned being able to create "tech packs" that you can switch mid battle? I think that being able to switch them mid fight could add an awesome element of strategy. You'd have to change them during the fights to come up with the best way of fighting the mob.

Great job so far Chris. I know that this system has been evolving as we go along, things keep changing, and I know it must be frustrating. But remember, we're still designing this to get it just right. What I want you to do now, is think of simple ways to make the battling strategic. Since HP/MP is restored after each fight, I want each battle to force the player to think without being slow. That is what SE did with FFXIII and its why it's been the best battle system I've ever played with in an RPG.

Simple strategic elements. Work on this with the core system you've already outlined in the previous post. Keep up the good work man.
Back to top Go down
BlueThree
Admin
BlueThree

The Battle System Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Battle System   The Battle System EmptyWed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 am

>para 1
Awesome.

>para 2
The player won't choose which body part to hit; it will be random. I was thinking we could use this in place of a critical hit system. I.e., some body parts will take extra damage/cause status effects instead of crits causing extra damage. As for the job system, I agree, we need to make it unique.

>para 3
I forgot to mention the hotkeys and switching stuff, my bad. This exists.

I'll keep working on this and the Job system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Battle System Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Battle System   The Battle System Empty

Back to top Go down

The Battle System
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Game Development :: Battle System-
Jump to: